About cinnamon features
Cinnamon is used as an aromatic and flavouring addictive. The aroma comes from the essential oil present in it mainly-Cinnamaldehyde and eugenol.
This spice is obtained from the inner bark of the Cinnamumverum plant. When it dries, it forms strips that curl into rolls, called cinnamon sticks. These sticks can be ground to form cinnamon powder.
Ayurveda explains that cinnamon is having a hot potency. The taste of it is mainly pungent, bitter and sweet. The main property of Cinnamon that is mentioned in Ayurveda is that it is “Taste enhancing”.
Hence it is very much helpful in improving the body metabolism-by maintaining the fire element(Pitta). When it is used wisely in food, it helps in improving the absorption of food so that our body gets essential nutrients.
- Cinnamon is loaded with powerful antioxidants. Hence it boost brain function and can help to defend against the development of neurological disorders such as Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s disease.
- It has antimicrobial properties. Research shows that cinnamon benefits oral hygiene and could protect against different types of bacteria that cause bad breath, tooth decay and mouth infections. The essential oils from cinnamon have been shown to have potent antibacterial properties and can be used to naturally combat bacteria in the mouth, acting as a natural mouthwash.
- It helps in reducing the risk of heart failure.
- It helps your body fight infections and repair tissue damage;having anti-inflammatory properties.
- Insulin is one of the key hormones that regulate metabolism and energy use.It plays a vital role in transporting blood sugar from your bloodstream to your cells.The problem is that many people are resistant to the effects of insulin.This is known as insulin resistance, a serious conditions like metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes,cinnamon helps in reducing insulin resistance.
- Cinnamon has been widely studied for its potential use in cancer prevention and treatment. A study in mice with colon cancer revealed that cinnamon secretes detoxifying enzymes in the colon, protecting against further cancer growth
- What makes it special is that it is rich in Calcium,Iron and Vitamin K.
- It is also beneficial in lowering triglycerides level.
Special herbal tea can be prepared with cinnamon bark as it also helps in cleansing throat;preventing throat infections and rhinitis.
However,excessive intake may result in liver problems,mouth sores and skin allergies.
Optimal dose: 1-2 teaspoons per day.